Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Maps failed to load
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.
A new edition of an historic book has been released to mark the 175th anniversary of a landmark Yorkshire church.
The repair and restoration project at St Edward’s Church, Clifford, including the essential replacement stone and structural repairs in the tower have recently been completed with the tower now revealed in all its glory!
The Grade II* listed building is a bold Romanesque church in French-Norman style incorporating good quality carved sculptural elements and a clever plan. The church opened in 1848 before the re-establishment of Roman Catholic dioceses in 1850. It has a tall, unusual and well-detailed tower added by George Goldie in 1868.
To commemorate this and to celebrate 175 years of the Church of St Edward, King and Confessor, a reprint of ‘Chronicles of a Wharfedale Parish’ by Hildebrand Lane Fox is now available for £5 (proceeds to the Restoration Fund).
The book was originally published in 1909. The new edition contains an updated Foreword, written by Parish Priest, Fr Sean Molloy, and new colour pictures taken by parishioner Gina Marks, who has done much in recent years to research the church’s history and helped in the successful application to Historic England to have St Edward’s heritage listing upgraded to Grade II*.
In it’s listing statement Historic England described St Edward’s as being: “particularly significant for its design, detailing and scale, combining the functions of an open porch, organ chamber, bell tower and viewing platform; * for its high-quality stained glass and interior decoration, including the statue of Our Lady by Hoffmann, which was once described as ‘the most beautiful statue of the Mother of God to be found in Christendom’.
“Partly funded by European royalty, it is an important example of communities actively challenging discrimination against Catholics at the time. The church also contains the remains of the child martyr St Domitia the Second, brought over from the Catacombs of Rome.’
To purchase a copy of ‘Chronicles of a Wharfedale Parish’ please contact David Green by email firstname.lastname@example.org or mobile 07752 984117.